Landlord Law

2.2.9 Commissioning other documentation

2.2 For agents only: accepting instructions from a landlord
2.2.9 Commissioning other documentation
You must follow legislative requirements about documentation to be provided at the point of marketing,  during the marketing process or on completion. This must include an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and, where gas is provided at the property, a current Gas Safety certificate.

This is just making it clear that if you are an agent, it is your job to make sure that these important documents are provided and the landlord is not put at risk of prosecution.

It will be no excuse to say that the landlord did not actually ask you to do it.  Many landlords will be unaware of the requirements – that is why they are using you as their agent to manage the property.  To take care of this sort of thing.

You will be able to recoup any fees and charge for your work in doing this, provided it is properly set out in your agency agreement and the charges are reasonable.

Gas Safety Certificates

Note that when arranging for a gas safety check to be done, you must use a properly qualified installer who is registered with the Gas Safe Register.