Landlord Law Electrical

4. Property management
4.3 Tenancy management
4.3.6 Services Electrical
You should ensure that a competent electrician undertakes a full-fixed wiring test within 10 years of installation for new properties/full installations and it is recommended every five years thereafter. For HMOs the test must be undertaken every five years or as recommended by an electrician.

On any change of tenancy, you should check the fixed wiring installation for defects that are visually obvious to a non-qualified layman, including checking leads and plugs (unless the plug is of the moulded type). You should provide an appropriate electrical certificate to the tenant.

You must ensure that all alterations/repairs/improvements to the fixed electrical system comply with the latest edition of Part P of the Building Regulations and the latest Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) Wiring Regulations.

A competent person should undertake a portable appliance test (PAT) of all moveable electrical items
or equipment provided by the landlord; for example, kettles, fridges, etc. as recommended in the HSE
publication Maintaining portable electrical equipment in low-risk environments, or at more frequent periods recommended by a competent person or as a result of a risk assessment.

If you are informed of a fault that could compromise safety, this should be dealt with immediately.

People are always surprised that there are no mandatory regulations providing for electrical checks like there are under the gas regulations.  The only mandatory requirement is for HMOs under the HMO Management Regulations.

I did a post on landlords obligations on the Landlord Law Blog here.